Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 2..."Live" from the NCL Sky

Well...woke up this morning in the Bahamas but it sure did not feel like it. Our first port of call was Freeport/Lucaya in Grand Bahamas. Everyone was hoping for Bahamian weather only to wake up to cloudy skies and temps in the 60's. Stayed mostly cloudy all day but cruisers are hard to deter from trying to sit outside on the pool deck which many did today even though the temp stayed closer to the high 60's (not typical at all for the Bahamas).

After eating a quick breakfast, I headed off the ship and into town. Here is something to know about Freeport; the main part of town is about a 15-20 minute taxi ride from the pier. The pier has your standard cheesy souvenir vendors which I strongly recommend for you to avoid. Take the time to stand in the taxi line and pay the $10 round trip to go into the main part of town. With that said...still not a huge fan of the shops and restaurants there, but it is worth getting off the ship and taking in some of the palm laden streets and colorful buildings.

I happened to get dropped off in town adjacent to the Radisson Resort and Spa. I was given a very nice tour of the spa facilities and I highly recommend it as an optional (personal) shore excursion. You can make arrangements ahead of time for your treatments while in port and also arrange for a private transfer to the hotel via Dudley Seide who runs a company called "Hall of Famer" Tour and Taxi service (contact me for his info). The resort is beautiful and would make for a great day in Freeport.

After that personal tour I decided to make my way back to the ship and indulge in one of the "in-port" spa specials that the cruise line offers for those who choose to spend their time on board the ship. My spa therapist was name Princess and she was simply awesome so ask for her when making an appointment at the spa on the NCL Sky. :)

Last but not least...I want to mention my dinner. This cruise ship has several specialty restaurants and one of them is called "Cagney's." It specializes in steaks and it exceeded my expectations. The New York Strip was incredible and the service was impeccable. It was worth the extra surcharge of $25 per person. My full meal consisted of Crab Cakes, Lobster Bisque, 10oz New York Strip and a wonderful warm macadamia nut brownie ala mode.

Ok...enough for now. We will be docking in Nassau in the morning so stay tuned.

No comments: